Monday, October 15, 2007

Giving Honor To Whom Honor Is Due

I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately to the everyday heroes in my life. Perhaps God has opened my eyes to see the worth of these individuals to keep me from despairing over the burgeoning number of ignoble people whose actions I see trumpeted on the news constantly. Maybe there are actually more bad guys these days, or maybe it’s just a phenomenon of 24-hour news. Regardless, day after day news broadcasts dish up politicians who dodge and weave around accusations of sexual or financial scandal and celebrity “pop tarts” and the misdeeds of their out-of-control, debauched lives. We see our national leaders, like chameleons, change their policies and promises with public opinion and wage war against each other instead of our common problems. Reports of school shootings and child abductions make us wonder if our kids are safe anywhere. It all gives us a gnawing sense that our nation is sinking into its own “Dark Ages.”

Yet while all this is going on, there are honorable individuals who plod unnoticed through their daily lives, doggedly working to make the world a better place as they go. Those I’m speaking of appear to be average people, but they are not, for they serve a purpose bigger than themselves. They live by rock-solid convictions and not the whim or appetite or fashion of the moment. They are not motivated by money or recognition, but by a desire to do what is right and constructive. With a vision of a more just, righteous and enlightened world, they sow their very lives into pursuits that will probably never make them rich or famous, but will pass that vision on to the next generation and give them the tools to live it out. They live with eternity in view. These are the true heroes, and that’s not just a euphemism to make ordinary people feel better about themselves. It’s actually true.

High on this list of heroes are home school mothers who daily trade material gain and more glamorous careers in the bigger world to build children strong in character, wisdom and knowledge, who will become worthy citizens in a nation that sorely needs men and women of character. Add to the list those husbands who remain faithful to their wives in this sex-crazed culture where every temptation is readily available for the taking, because they love their wives and children more than that. Or it might be those husbands and working wives who sacrifice promotions and the accompanying material benefits if that will mean more time at home to enjoy and engage with their kids. Think of scientific researchers who work year in and year out, hidden from the public eye, to find cures for cancer and other diseases. We should even include that young person who takes their first job at McDonald’s or Wal-Mart who takes pride in his or her work and does the job with excellence and a desire to serve people.

I could go on and on. However, as I’ve been pondering all these thoughts, I came across a teaching by a minister who posed the following question: Do you currently owe a debt of honor to anyone? Do you need to show favor to anyone? My answer is emphatically, “Yes.” My life is full of such unsung heroes, and I want to use this forum to honor some of them in the next few days. In the meantime, I encourage you to consider the heroes that touch your life and to thank them for what they do. You have no idea what this could mean to someone. I remember once when I lived in Latvia, a fellow missionary told me that she and a couple of Latvian friends went to the local police station and thanked the officers there for the job they do. They wept. Let’s give honor where honor is due. In a world that has confused celebrity with greatness, it’s up to us who know the difference to thank those who deserve our thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Yes! I so need to honor an unsung hero. My husband John Cogburn, husband of 23 years and father to our 9 beautiful children. This man is a man of simple faith. He never complicates his faith in God. He simply loves God,loves his wife,and loves his children. He is faithful in his job and takes time to encourage and help others. He is not noticed or recognized in his job as he has been faithfully working long hours to help the company be a success. He comes home tired after fighting sometimes 2 hours of traffic jams, but he walks in with a smile on his face, a kiss for me, and hugs for his children. He is never in a bad mood. If he is, he does not show it. He does not complain and is grateful. HE loves others and wants the best for them.He has a song in his heart at all times. He gives much to those around him.

    Thank you John for all of the little and big things you do. You are a constant in the lives of others. You deserve more appreciation and recognition than you get. But know that your FATHER knows and sees. Your reward is great. You are a hero because you are the same person in private as you are in public. You give of yourself without thinking or yourself. You are a selfless man and I could not wish for more in the man I love with all my heart. Ange

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I would like to honor my husband, John Cogburn. We have been married for 23 years. John is the father of our 9 beautiful children. John is a man of simple faith. He simply loves his Lord, his wife and his children. He is faithful in his job and comes home wih a smile on his face and joy in his heart. Even though he works hard and is tired, he pays attention to us and does not complain. HE is selfless and always thinks of his family before himself. He has been under tremendous stress with his job and has been working very long hours. However, he comes home to us without any grumbling and complaints. He jumps in and helps with the children.

    John also takes the time to be available to others who need a friend and maybe going through tough times. I am amazed by his gracious and loving countenance.

    John you are my hero because you are a man who is selfless. You are a living sacrifice in all areas of your life. You deserve much more recognition and appreciation that you receive. However, the Lord sees and knows. HE is pleased! That is what matters. I even believe HE calls you HIS hero because you lay down your live daily for others.

    Thank you and I love you. Ange

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous14:11

    I truly want to blog back.. and yet I keep getting distracted by your awesome pictures... this was, of course, a great post, and I look forward to the rest..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous23:32

    Betsy, This is one of the more inspiring and best written bits I've read in quite a while.

    For me, like you, there are many I've noticed that have gone unnoticed quite often. Those that serve selflessly that have never complained, and those that lay down there lives to make others great just to name a few. Those that have lived in the injustice of our society and somehow made it or are making it. The kids of those from broken families that don't have much physically, but somehow seem to work harder than any of those around them. Maybe it's the criminals that take an experience that cripples most and turn it around and make a difference. The grandfather that isn't just an old man to his grandchildren, but is an inspiration and dream giver to those that are following.

    There are so many that if I sat here long enough I think I could list people all night. But you're right, we have to honor those people. That's what it's all about I think.

    For me I think the obvious choice for me is two people. Andy Stoner and Gabe Bouch. Both part of my wedding and both part of the most significant part of my life, my faith. These two men stood in the gap for me for more than a year as my life spiraled into a desperate oblivion that only God could pull me out of. They knew that, and they stood there until He did. That's more patience than I have even for myself. Incredible men that make me feel great just when I'm standing next to them.

    And Betsy, your my personal hero for writing this blog. Awesome...

    ReplyDelete