Thursday, November 06, 2008

Thoughts on the Morning After - Part Deux

I happen to believe that the election of Barack Obama to the presidency of the United States represents the beginning of God’s judgment on America, and the American church in particular (I Peter 4:17). However, in his incredible mercy, God’s judgment is redemptive, and there are some good things that will come out of this.

Let’s start with what this election means for African-Americans. Their elated faces and euphoric comments on the news after the election made me realize that for black Americans, Barack Obama’s election means that their emancipation is finally complete. They finally feel like full, equal citizens of the United States. Whoopi Goldberg expressed it well when she blogged on www.wowowow.com:

I realized that for probably the first time in my life, in thinking about myself as an American, it occurred to me that this is really our arrival in the country that said everything was possible. We have finally become part of the fabric of the United States of America.

No white eye rolling out there, please. You and I may believe that African-American equality was secured by the Emancipation Proclamation, the Reconstruction Amendments, or the Civil Rights Act of 1964. On paper, that is true, but experiential reality may be quite different. We know very well the horrific treatment of blacks by some whites throughout our earlier history. Yet it remains hard for us to understand why many African-Americans have never felt secure in their equal rights or became invested in their citizenship. Maybe this is because white people assume everyone experiences full equality because we have never had to defend equality for ourselves. But we need to embrace a broader view.

Perhaps we have underestimated the depth of the generational wounds of slavery and post-slavery injustice and overestimated levels of healing and reconciliation. This leads us to think things like, “Why can’t they quit whining and just get over it? That stuff ended forty years ago.” However, that is like an unfaithful husband whose wife is still learning to trust him again and gets upset if he comes home late one evening. He may grouse to her, “I already said I was sorry and I won’t do it again. Why can’t you just get past this?” We would think him a Neanderthal. Deep wounds take a lot of time to heal, and we need to extend grace and understanding, as well as encouragement to overcome and jump into America with both feet.

Of course, there are many African-American attitudes and ways that fall short, too, but we are not responsible for them. What this election has shown me is that I, and probably almost all white people, have seriously underestimated the enormity and pervasiveness of African-American feelings of disenfranchisement. The euphoria will fade and Obama supporters of all races will learn soon enough that he is not a messiah, but a man, a flawed human being like all others. But for now, whatever we think of the man and his policies, let us rejoice and share the shining moment with our African-American countrymen, and pray that God will use this singular event to bring about major breakthroughs. What those might be are for discussion in Part III. (This could go on a long time!)

7 comments:

  1. Very intreasting the view you point out. I have felt very glad that a black man is president and that maybe this is what is needed to complete equality in races. Your insight is beautiful Betsy. I love to see things in a new light. It resounds within me. Praise the Lord. Thank you so much for this blog. I have sent it to others.
    Sami

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading your post and reflecting in my own heart as a white American (though I know I have some black in me somewhere down the line), the thought of "color" never occured to me in this whole election process. I never even had one pondering moment about this being about a cultural and color related election, but more or less a moral election. However, I appreciate this facet of thought and fact. Therefore, I am delighted for any black American that feels validated by Obama's election. To God be the Glory and may the mercies of God shine through in ways that will surprise us to no end!! I have been at peace before and remain in peace now. And the Lord gets credit for that too. Betsy, you are an outstanding writer and representative for the Lord and ALL people. If I had connections...I would get you in a magazine or paper. Keep writing . I look forward to Part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous21:10

    Well said....once again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous23:36

    Well said Betsy. I'd write more, but thoughts are all over the place about what I've been sensing for our country and its citizens. Thank you, for your voice of wisdom and clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:25

    I happen to believe that the election of Barack Obama to the presidency of the United States represents the beginning of God’s judgment on America, and the American church in particular (I Peter 4:17). However, in his incredible mercy, God’s judgment is redemptive, and there are some good things that will come out of this.

    Well, how very gracious of you to say! I mean, Obama hasn't even been sworn in, hasn't done a single thing as President yet, and already you're damning his administration just because he isn't a conservative or a Republican! It's not anyone's place to judge our fellow man, and it's certainly shows a lack of wisdom and respect to judge someone when you have absolutely nothing to base your opinions on other than he isn't playing for your team.


    What this election has shown me is that I, and probably almost all white people, have seriously underestimated the enormity and pervasiveness of African-American feelings of disenfranchisement.

    Speak for yourself! I'm white and I've had enough friends of all races to know that any feelings of racial disenfranchisement is absolutely nothing new in American society, nor have I "underestimated the enormity" of it. If you haven't been paying attention, then it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    It's this kind of arrogant exclusivity that turns off so many from going to church these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the comparison to an unfaithful husband, it is more like a husband who has consistently been unfaithful, even after a promise of fidelity. The way this country has treated black americans, even today in our "civilized" society, is enough to make me vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For "ANONYMOUS":

    Thanks for your comment, and I'd like to respond to a couple of things you said.

    You said it is not our place to judge our fellow man, and I agree with you. But if we don't look critically at the policies of our leaders, we are poor citizens in a representative democracy. My opposition to now President Obama is not based on race or party, but policy stands that I happen to believe are not good for our nation. This is my right, and my responsibility, as a citizen of these United States.

    I welcome your opinions on this blog, but in this case, I feel you are projecting a lot on me and my motivations and attitudes that you couldn't possibly know without knowing me; i.e.; "you have absolutely nothing to base your opinions on other than that he isn't playing for your team." It's this kind of emotional vitriol--on both sides of the aisle--that have our nation in the highly-charged, partisan state it's in.

    The other point regards your statement about my understanding, or lack thereof, of feelings of racial disenfranchisement in the country. I did not say, as you suggested, that this is a NEW problem, only that I didn't realize how deep it runs. I, too, have many friends of all races and nationalities. None of my black friends, however, have ever expressed to me a sense of having been held back by institutionalized racism. They have simply gone about their lives, doing what they intended to do, and have been very successful in their personal and professional lives.

    I don't deny that racism exists in this country. I know that it does, and we are not a perfect nation. But I dare you to show me a nation that has offered more acceptance and opportunity to all minorities than the United States has as we have become more enlightened in the last forty years or so.

    All of us must challenge racism, which knows no party, where we find it and make sure it is not in our own hearts (where no legislation can change it, only an act of our will). But harping on the sins of the past and using race as a political tool divides and does not unite us as Americans.

    ReplyDelete